Tooth enamel is one of the strongest materials in the human body. Natural teeth are meant to last a lifetime with proper care and maintenance. However, it is not uncommon for patients to have problems during their lifespan that might require the removal of permanent teeth. At Clear Lake Dental Care and Implant Center, we can help patients determine when extraction of a natural tooth may be necessary for their oral health and wellness.
When Might I Need Tooth Extraction?
There are several situations during which a patient might benefit from the removal of one or more teeth. Below are just a few of the situations that can arise:
- Preparation for orthodontia. Patients who are looking to straighten their smile may need to remove one or more teeth within the dental arch to allow for orthodontic treatment. This is especially true for patients who experience overcrowding and misalignment from too many teeth in a smaller mouth.
- Preparation for dentures. Patients who have experienced significant tooth loss may choose to have full dentures. If one or more teeth still remain, they may be manually extracted to allow for dentures to be utilized.
- Severe tooth decay. A tooth that has severe decay may not be able to be treated with the use of dental fillings. In situations like this, a patient might have the tooth completely removed to address the problem.
- Failed root canal therapy. Saving a tooth with root canal therapy is often a smart choice. However, these treatments can fail. When they do, the permanent removal of a tooth is recommended by our team of professionals to restore the smile.
- Wisdom teeth. Wisdom teeth, or the “third molars,” develop last in the smile but can become impacted or troublesome for many individuals. It is not uncommon to remove these teeth when necessary to alleviate pain from impaction or eliminate the risk of cavities and disease.
Connect With The Team At Clear Lake Dental Care And Implant Center Today
Our team is here to help Webster, TX patients address a wide range of general, cosmetic, and restorative dental issues. If you are in need of extractions, we can help. Drs. Das, Pham, and Rivera are available at 202 West Medical Center Boulevard and can be reached for an appointment at (832) 479-4676.